HBAA 2017 Third Annual Chili Cookoff and Pie Contest Rules
Entry Deadline: January 18, 2017 Event Date: January 21, 2017 (5-9 pm) Location: Bayou City Pavilion, 9401 Knight Rd.
Chili Contest Rules:
1. Only 5 members to a team included in the $500 entrance fee. Additional team members pay the $25 entrance fee; prizes limited to the 5 person team.
2. Children 12 and under are free.
3. Doors open at 4:00 pm. The event begins at 5:00. Judging will begin around 6:00 and should be concluded by 7:30. Winners announced at 8:30.
4. Table cloths, plastic tasting utensils, tasting cups and napkin must be brought by the entering teams. Each team is also responsible for its own pots, propane, preparation utensils and table decorations. Electrical connections can be provided--teams must provide notice in advance whether they require electrical connections or will be using propane.
5. Each team must make at least 5 gallons of chili. Additional appetizers may be provided by the teams to enhance/add to their presentation. There are no restrictions on what chili recipe may contain. (Beans are allowed!) However, teams should be prepared to disclose the chili’s ingredients if requested, in order to avoid any health/allergy concerns.
6. Each team will be assigned a number and given a container in which their chili will be collected at the time of judging, at which time the team should verify that the number at the bottom of the container is their team number. “Runners” will be sent to collect the container for delivery to the judges.
7. Chili will be judged according to the following:
8. There will also be a “People’s Choice” award. Each paying entrant (including team members) will receive one (1) ticket to vote on “People’s Choice” award. Additionally, a prize will be given for most creatively decorated table. Containers for voting will be on each table. Table must be attended at all times.
9. Clean up is strictly the responsibility of the team. No items may remain after the close of the cook-off.
Pie Contest Rules
1. Pie entrance fee is $50 per person.
2. At least two of the same pie (for each entrant) must be baked – one for the judges and one for general consumption.
3. Plates, napkins, and plastic forks, as well as serving utensils will be provided by the pie sponsor.
4. No more than one type of pie per entrant. Pies should be delivered to the pie table no later than 5:30 pm. Pies should be pre-registered so that labels may be created in advance.
5. Pies will be judged anonymously according to the following:
6. Each pie will be assigned a number upon entry. Delivery of the pie samples to the judges will be as per the rules above.
Entertainment will be provided by Hattrick Band. A separate children’s area will be set up. Children of all ages welcome.
Entry fees and pre-paid admission fees should be payable to:
HBAA Charitable Fund, Inc. Attention: Greg Griffin Mehaffy Weber 500 Dallas, Suite 1200 Houston, Texas 77002