HBAA 2019 5th Annual Chili Cookoff and Pie Contest Rules
Entry Deadline: February 15, 2019 Event Date: February 16, 2019 (5-9 pm) Location: Bayou City Pavilion, 9401 Knight Rd.
For pictures and information on last year's event, please click here.
Chili Contest Rules:
1. Only 5 members to a team included in the $500 entrance fee. If you are sponsor of $1000 or more, you may have an additional 5 free entries . Additional team members pay the $25 entrance fee; prizes limited to the 5 person team.
2. Children 12 and under are free.
3. Doors open at 4:00 pm. The event begins at 5:00. Judging will begin around 6:00 and should be concluded by 7:30. Winners announced at 8:00.
4. Table cloths, plastic tasting utensils, tasting cups and napkins must be brought by the entering teams. Each team is also responsible for its own pots, propane, preparation utensils and table decorations. Feel free to promote your firm/company in any way you desire at your table. Electrical connections can be provided—please e-mail Greg Griffin GGriffin@fordbergner.com if you will need an electrical connection.
5. Each team must make at least 5 gallons of chili. Additional appetizers may be provided by the teams to enhance/add to their presentation. There are no restrictions on what chili recipe may contain. (Beans are allowed!) However, teams should be prepared to disclose the chili’s ingredients if requested, in order to avoid any health/allergy concerns.
6. Each team will be assigned a number just before the judging begins and given a container for each judge in which their chili will be collected at which time the team should verify that the number at the bottom of the containers is their team number. “Runners” will be sent to collect the containers for delivery to the judges within the first hour.
7. Names of people on your team and the “name” of your team should be provided in advance to the extent known. Please e-mail to Greg Griffin. GGriffin@FordBergner.com and advise Greg who the “team captain” is.
8. Each “team captain” (or designated representative) will be given an envelope at the front entrance which contains a wrist band for each team member, a timeline and a copy of the rules.
9. Chili will be judged according to the following:
10. There will also be a “People’s Choice” award. Each paying entrant (including chili team members and pie entrants) will receive one (1) free ticket to vote on their favorite chili and this winner may be different than those winners chosen by the official judges. Containers for this voting will be on each table. Additional “People’s Choice” tickets will be available for purchase for $1 each. Additionally, a prize will be given for most creatively decorated table. Table must be attended at all times.
11. Clean up is strictly the responsibility of the team. No items may remain after the close of the cook-off.
Pie Contest Rules
1. Pie entrance fee is $50 per person. Please e-mail Greg Griffin GGriffin@FordBergner.com with the type of pie you are entering. Sweet or savory pies may be entered.
2. At least two of the same pie (for each entrant) must be baked and brought to the contest – one for the judges and one for general consumption.
3. Plates, napkins, and plastic forks, as well as serving utensils will be provided by the pie sponsor.
4. No more than one type of pie per entrant (the two pies should be the same.) Pies should be delivered to the Pie Table no later than 5:30 pm. Pies should be pre-registered if possible, so that labels may be created in advance. However, late entries will be accepted.
5. Pies will be judged anonymously according to the following:
6. Each pie will be assigned a number upon entry. Delivery of the pie samples to the judges will be as per the rules above.
Entertainment will be provided by Jarrad Maddox Band. A separate children’s area will be set up. Children of all ages welcome.
Entry fees and pre-paid admission fees should be payable to:
HBAA Charitable Fund, Inc. Attention: Greg Griffin Ford + Bergner LLP 700 Louisiana 48th Floor Houston, Texas 77002
Last day for submission of pre-admission fees, on line or by mail, is Friday February 15th. Admission at the door is $30 per person.